Saturday, January 8, 2011

One week down, 51 to go!

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

HEALTH:
Well this was a bit of an experimental week. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Is anybody else an emotional eater? I've never smoked or drank a lot, or used drugs. I do imagine however that I know how the "high" feels when I have a stressful day and I dig into some kind of snacky food and immediately I start to feel better. My drug of choice this week? Pretzel fish! Better than regular pretzels (and cute too!). It is amazing to me how much better I feel after I have inhaled the food of choice. I think I need a better way to cope.

This summer I was learning to use running as a stress release. Now it is way too cold outside for me so I am stuck with the treadmill. Much less satisfying let me just say. However it is what I have available right now. So this week I promise myself that I will get on that treadmill at least 4 days. Does that sound like enough? It is so hard to get home and get motivated to get the workout clothes on, get the Ipod, do the walk, take the shower...
I know - do I want some cheese to go with that wine?

Amyway - that's the goal here. Wish me luck.

TESTIMONY

I have heard it said "no test, no testimony." I'm beginning to think I have some testimony about to be available!
 I found this encouragement in the Message translation of 2 Corinthians 7:5-7ish. Paul says "When we arrived in Macedonia province, we couldn't settle down. The fights in the church and the fear in our hearts kept us on pins and needles. We couldn't relax because we didn't know how it would turn out.
Wait a minute...Paul couldn't relax? He was on pins and needles? Sometimes I think we feel that we should never feel bad or uncomfortable or unhappy. Especially if you are part of a word of faith lifestyle. But here, the guy who wrote half the new testament says he was basically a basket case! Of course it doesn't stop there.
THEN THE GOD WHO LIFTS UP THE DOWNCAST LIFTED OUR HEADS AND OUR HEARTS with the arrival of Titus...

May every day this coming week be full of  "then the God who lifts up!" That is really what it is all about. We can't be perfect all the time, or EVER. But we can turn to, trust in, and rely on the God who lifts up!

So that's the goal this week. I will feel, work, struggle, enjoy, watch, listen, and do my way through the week. But I will always remind myself that it is God who will lift me and move me forward. That's the testimony I want to have. Not what I did or what happened in my life but what God did for me and how it changed life as I know it.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment